Meán Scoil Nua an Leith-Triúigh
Caisléan Ghriaire, Co. Chiarraí.
Príomhoide: Aodán Mac Gearailt
Meán Scoil an Leith-Triúigh was founded in 1961 by Aidan and Sheila Mulcahy. This voluntary secondary school is under the patronage of Bishop Raymond Browne and is Catholic in nature but we welcome non-Catholic students to our school. The schools mission is 'to promote holistic development of our students in a friendly, caring and respectful environment'. Enrolment in the school has grown steadily over recent years and we now cater for 138 students. Students are known individually to teachers and have an excellent working relationship with them. Academic excellence and achieving one's personal best is encouraged at all times, and emphasis is placed on developing our students morally, spiritually and physically.
As previously mentioned our school was founded by Aidan and Sheila Mulcahy. In 1950 they got married and spent 10 years in Africa on missionary work where they founded a school and taught local children. In 1960 they returned to their native area and set up their own school to serve the needs of the children of the North West Kerry area who found it difficult to get a secondary school education at the time due to the isolation of the area and the inadequate and expensive transport system.
Classes were originally held in the Mulcahy's family home until the early seventies when three prefabricated buildings were erected beside their house in Cloghane. In 1996 Aidan Mulcahy retired but continued to manage the school. However, he understandably, indicated his desire that the school be relocated. A search for an alternative location began in 1997 and a suitable site was located in Castlegregory following discussions with Castlegregory Community Council and the DES. In 2005 the new school 'Meán Scoil Nua an Leith-Triúigh' was completed and is a modern and spacious building, described in a recent inspection as ' an ultra-modern school steeped in history and tradition'.